Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Hey, what's up, hello!

Argggghhhhh!

You ever have that feeling that your life is just a real game of wack-a-mole? I know I've been MIA for quite some time now. It's been hard to write. And I'm sorry that my first time back is a bitch and moan post. I've been fighting for my right to live, these past few months. Ok so it's not really that dramatic. I have been going months of being undermedicated because my insurance company has been refusing to cover the meds that my rheumatologist wants me to have.

Check this routine that I've been on since June. The doctor that has known me for over 11 years writes a script. The script goes to my insurance company. (Now at this time let it be known I have a very well known, nationally recognized insurance provider. It's not something fly by the seat of your pants, late night commercial scam company.) The insurance company denies me coverage on the script. They prefer me to try a cheaper med, that I've tried in the past (I had a horrible reaction to it. It wrecked my body.) But it was awhile ago and insurance feels I may not have the same reaction to it. My doctor petitions the insurance company to accept the script. We wait. And...they refuse.*whack-a-mole* So my doctor researches and tries another script. It goes to the insurance company. They deny the script. Doctor petitions the insurance company. We wait...they refuse. *whack-a-mole* So my doctor researches and tries another script. It goes to the insurance company. They deny the script. Doctor petitions the insurance company. We wait...they refuse.

 
You see the pattern here?

For four months. Four months without meds in my system to help stabilize a progressive illness. (If I'm being honest I have to put some blame about this on my doctors head too. She knows me and my body well enough to know not to do this)

You know what the insurance company doesn't have a problem approving and covering? Pain meds. Pain meds that I wouldn't need if they would cover the meds to help me not develop pain. That's fucking shameful in and of itself. But finally on the fifth try my insurance company approved a medication! *wack-a-mole* So I call the pharmacy to get everything set up and I'm informed that my insurance company has approved this medication at 100% repay. Meaning I pay for everything upfront and the company will pay me back 4-6wks later at 100%. So. How much is a one month supply of this medication? $3,988.00. Because who the fuck doesn't have $4,000 just laying around each month? *slowly raises hand*

So what now? that's right .... *Whack-a-mole*.

I contacted the drug manufacturers and applied for their underinsured program. But because I have insurance from a popular company I'm not a priority. All this time still no meds in my system other than the pain meds that they are willing to cover each month. I did eventually get approved and am now on this medication. I'm having slight reactions against it but I fought too damn hard to get it so we are just monitoring everything.
*whack-a-mole*

It's starting to build up in my system and that's a good thing. But the damage of not being properly medicated for months prior has taken it's toll. I've weakened myself to the point of last week managing to mess up my vertebrae pretty severely. *wack the next f-ing mole*

My doctors have been trying to get me to go on disability since I was 25 and I keep pushing myself to work. For a few reasons. I've worked because I enjoy working, being useful. But also to have good insurance to help cover the things I need for my illness (yeah fucked up huh?). But mostly because this...As long as I keep struggling, I'll be ok. But the moment I stop, I'll sink. But I guess at that point I'll have no more moles to whack.

 
So hopefully going forward I will have more energy and strength to be more involved with the blog. But I promise just because you may not be getting regular posts from me doesn't mean I'm not thinking about you guys and gals. And it definitely doesn't mean that I may not pop back up when you least expect me. I'm kinda like the blog version of the Spanish Inquisition.




--Golden @theonlygolden

 

No comments:

Post a Comment