Saturday, November 15, 2014

Thankfulness Challenge - Day 15

I am writing this to you all from the cozy tissue littered sick nest of my bed. Please consider this my last will and testament. Well, ok so I may not be dying, but I'm close to it. Ok, so I may not be close to it. It may just be the flu and I'm a dramatic fevered bitch. Either way, I totally feel like ass! Ok. Ok. Ok. I will shut up with my bitching before you turn the blog channel. Plus this month is supposed to be about being thankful not about boring the shit out of people with my snotty lifestyle.

My past few blog contributions have been about the importance of the chill. And how it does a body, mind, and soul good.

Marcy is a huge music fan. Music allows her to mellow out and melt away. I like music, but my taste in music is really bad. I admit that freely. Plus relaxing is not how I use music. Music tends to pep me up, but it could be because the type of music I prefer is fast with a beat. So I usually lean on music to get me revved. Like while I'm getting ready to go out, or while I'm trying to meet a deadline, or even that one time I went to the gym. So music doesn't really soothe my soul. But movies, movies totally do!

I love going to the movie theater. Especially the older classic theatres that you can still find across the U.S. The ones that play "The Wizard of Oz" or "It's a Wonderful Life" and allow you to melt away into a past life.

I even love curling up on the couch and watching a movie. I crave movies the way some people crave food. Being sick recently, I've been craving my "Sick Time Movie Playlist". It has such great hits as "The Labyrinth", "The Princess Bride" "Stardust" "Flight of Dragons". You know excellent movies that don't work against the cold meds but instead enhance the experience.

Have you ever gone to a proper theatre and been so drawn into the production that your peripheral falls away and you are completely focused with such tunnel vision, that you forget where you are when you snap back to yourself? I love that feeling. And I love it when that happens when I'm watching a good movie. As the holiday season is starting i, like most people I'm sure, have a "Seasonal Movie Playlist" so you will probably get tired of hearing about my love of movies. So I will do my best not to bore you with my love of Movie Playlists. I am so thankful for the creative people who create these movies and hopefully you too can extract some of the beauty and movie magic that I am so thankful for. Because movies, especially some of the classics, are magical and I am thankful that they allow me to suspend my mind and journey to places and times that would otherwise be impossible for me to reach.
 
I know that there exists a type of person that doesn't like "old movies". Hey, you like what you like. So I'm not trying to tell you that you are wrong to feel that way, but yeah....you're wrong to feel that way. Just kidding (no I'm not). But if you find yourself with time on your hands and you need a movie to escape to, here are a few of my favorites.
 
Please to enjoy...

§  Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb (Peter Sellers is comedy gold in the absurd)

§  Cat on A Hot Tin Roof (I can't turn away from the beautiful perfection of Liz Taylor and Paul Newman.)

§  To Kill A Mockingbird (I cry every time. "Miss Jean Louise, stand up, your father's passing")

§  Guys and Dolls (You just can't beat Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando. Brando was gorgeous before he went all nutters.)

§  Harvey (I dare you to not believe in a giant 6ft, three and a half inch tall invisible rabbit after you see this)

§  The Goonies (Because come on we all are Goonies at heart. Plus, Hello? Cyndi Lauper soundtrack)

§  Jurassic Park (Because you can't get much cooler than dinosaurs. Well you could if you put them in space!)

§  Mothra vs. Godzilla, 1962 (I. Love. Godzilla! And mothra is the only kaiju I know that comes with her own tiny bitches)

§  Godfather (which has Brando during his nutters period and Robert Duvall who also plays Boo Radley from "To Kill A Mockingbird". Connections are fun.)

§  The Birds (I'm not sure what's most impressive, the fact that this movie is frightening no matter how many times I see it or the fact that Tippi exists in that same outfit all weekend long through numerous bird attacks and still looks fly!)
 
-golden (@theonlygolden)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment