Monday, November 18, 2019

Thankfulness Challenge – Video Game Consoles

So yesterday I posted I had nothing for you and today I had several ideas while I was at work. Isn’t that always the way ? PS – Hi H!  hope you have a great day tomorrow! -- So maybe I’m getting my mojo back. I promise nothing.

Today’s post is brought to you by a friend of mine who sent me a message to say “I’m thinking about getting a Playstation4. I’m really leaning towards doing it!” Which led to a long conversation about yes he should totally get a game station. 



I’ve mentioned several times on this blog my love for video games. The way they suck me into another world, the way they relieve stress and the overall enjoyment I have when playing. It’s not uncommon for me to get obsessed with a game and play it for days, hours, weeks. I wouldn’t take breaks if life didn’t make me. I like finishing a game. I am also annoying to play a game with cause I want all the things. All the coins, all the side quests I want to do it all. I used to drive my nephews crazy cause they just wanted to finish the level and move to the next one.

I was lucky my first console was the Atari 2600 and I loved everything about it. From the variety of games available, the game play, the graphics, and the ease of game play. Then again back then games were not as elaborate as they are now. We had Frogger, Pac Man, Mrs. Pac Man, Space Invaders, Pitfall, The Smurfs, ET, and so many other games. Then my Atari met an untimely death when it battled my mom’s vacuum cleaner which sucked up the cords and ruined the machine. It was a dark day in our household.

 
It was however rectified when Santa brought us a Nintendo which gave me Mario Brothers and RBI Baseball and so many other games that defined my childhood.  We had the glove, I had the magazine, I mean I was all in from the first day. As much as I loved my Atari this console is the console that I think of when I think of Video games. I am not proud of the fact that I spent a good 45 minutes at work when they came out with the mini NES … but wasn’t successful. From there I graduated to a Sega, then Microsoft took over with the X-box, X-box 360, X-box 1 and that’s where my video game story ends. Once my latest X-box ate it I just haven’t replaced the system. I really want a Nintendo Switch. I like the idea of being able to play at home and on the go, but I can’t justify the price tag cause I’m an adult. Granted I also had a few versions of the Game Boy and other hand held games but when I think video game systems I think of the ones plugged into the TV, those with cartridges that you could borrow from friends and swap back and forth like currency. Going to the store to rent games that’s what I think of. So this post is not about games I play on my phone, maybe that's for another day, cause lord knows I have plenty. 

However, the question remains the same which console?! PS4, X-box, or are you a PC gamer. Since it’s nearly Christmas I thought I’d help Santa out and give the number one thing someone needs to think about when they are considering a new console.  

What do you want to play? Are you a gamer that likes to connect to other gamers online? Do you like the shoot up up, role playing games like Fortnight, or Resident Evil, or quest games... fantasy play, what about sport games, NFL, NBA, Soccer, MLB? Do you like games based on movies or TV? Take a look a the console you are interested and see what type of games they sell. That’s the first step. It all comes down to the games you want play and if you can find enough games that will interest you to keep you wanting to play the console.

Also do some research and make sure that you aren’t buying a console that is about to release a new system. There is NOTHING WORSE than buying a console only to have a new one come out a year later and suddenly you can’t find any games for your console cause they are shifting their focus to the new one. Trust me on that one. Been there wasted my money on that.

No matter what system you pick enjoy it. If you are going to spend the money buy a few games and really dive into the system and use it or you have wasted the money you spent.

Have fun!


Marcy
@beaslma

No comments:

Post a Comment