Saturday, October 25, 2014

I am writing, part II !!!

I’m not really sure where this one came from. It’s one I started writing a while ago and revisit it from time to time. I update it/add to it and then save the file and move on. Today I decided instead of just closing the file and walking away I’d post it here and see what happens.

I always thought this one be the one that would “turn into a book.” Who knows … maybe there is still time… 
-----

"Trying to connect"
Karen Stevens loved her job. She liked to watch her students learn and love watching them figure out new things on their own and knew when to back off and when to shove them in the right direction. She was a dedicated teacher; one her student’s trusted because she did whatever she needed to do to make sure her students succeeded. Sometimes she took students home for a nice home cooked meal and a night of conversation that revolved around their lives for a change. Other teachers often came to her for advice and she was always at every PTA meeting.  Many of her students had parents that didn’t have the time to spend with them or frankly didn’t care so she felt it necessary to be their voice.

For this, her students flocked to her; students who didn’t get her for a teacher would

beg to have their schedules changed so they could say I have Mrs. Stevens for English. Even students that she didn’t teach first hand knew her and came to her room to talk or get help for assignments. She never turned anyone away. Not when the bell rang and it was time for her next class. Not when it was nearing 7 and her husband was waiting, and not when the bell went off in her head saying she should. Mark was a bell ringing kind of guy.

She noticed him standing in the door, but she had learned that if they wanted her help they would come in and ask for it. She tried not to glance up, but instinct got the best of her. She realized that she had never seen him before, but she had heard about him. One teacher said he had killed a student at his last school. Another said it was his uncle. She didn’t know who to believe, but if he needed her help he would get it just like everyone else in this school.

“Hi! Do you have a minute?” he said as he finally entered the door. “I’m Mark and your Mrs. Stevens aren’t you?”
“Yes I am, how can I help you?” She sat up straight in her chair with a huge smile that showed all of her front teeth.
“Well I just moved to this town. I didn’t want to come here. At my last school I didn’t learn much except how to win a fight. I have this assignment that I don’t think I can handle, but I was told you might help me.”
“I’ll try. What’s the assignment?”
“We have to write a story of our life quite frankly my life is not something I want to put on paper. So I don’t know how to start this paper.”
“That’s not really a problem. You just moved here and no one knows about you. If you wanted, you could make up the story of your life.”
“Your saying I should lie?”
“No” she giggled, “Not lie…just be….creative. The parts you don’t want to tell stretch the truth a little bit. For example if you were say arrested and that is what you don’t want to tell anyone, say I was sent away to live with relatives.”
“What makes you think I was ARRESTED” he interrupted.

She blinked once at him like she had been slapped. Yes, she had assumed he had been arrested, not just because of the stories she had heard, but the way he carried himself. He wore nothing but black had really shaggy hair that didn’t give off the impression that it knew soap and water. He had on an old leather jacket. It was at least eighty degrees outside why else would he wear it unless it had gang ties. She herself was wearing a sundress and still thought it was hot.

“I didn’t mean to assume anything about you. Trust me I know how it feels to have someone be judged before they are known. I was just trying to think of something that is so bad you may not want people to know. Please … I really wasn’t trying to hurt your feelings.” Trying to get back on his good side. It was getting late and she wanted to get home, but had a feeling this guy needed her help more than Bob needed his dinner. Like so many other times Bob would have to sit second to her job.

“What are you talking about knowing how it feels to be judged I bet no one has ever looked at you and thought anything other than what you are?” He said getting annoyed with this teacher who wasn’t anyone he had to be nice too yet continued to talk to her.

Karen answered by picking up a picture of Bob off her desk “This is my husband.”

“So he looks like a little prep too.”
"See you just judged him without knowing him. My parents did what you did, but they didn’t see him as a prep. They saw him as a troublemaker. He works at a garage fixing cars and they thought he did not “deserve” me, but they hardly knew him. I did everything I could to convince them and while they have accepted him it’s still very uneasy and no one feels comfortable at their house.” She starred at the picture for a minute or two lost in thought and put it back down.

Trying to change the subject, she looked at him “So tell me what is it that you don’t want to discuss in your paper,” His face tightened “I mean I need to know what the problem is before I can help you.”

“Well. . . the thing is . . .ARGH!  I don’t want to be here!” he yelled.
“No one is forcing you to come to my room.”
“Not just your room, this school, this town. I want to go back home!”
“Well why did you move here?” He said nothing just continued to inspect his shoes. “You don’t have to answer my questions if you aren’t ready. Let’s start easier, where did you move here from?”

He sat in the student desk slumped over holding his head up with his hands. Tears started to form and his body shook as he tried to hold them back. Lifting his head seemed like a chore.

“OK here is my deal. . .” he paused for a minute to regain his composure. His mouth opened to begin “Mrs. Stevens!” they both jumped a mile in the air. “Mrs. Stevens” the intercom said for a second time.
“Yes” she said still trying to catch her breath.
“Will you come by the office before you go home?”
“Sure”
“Hey….I’ll let you get to the office I’m not sure if I am ready to do this anyway.” Mark was semi relieved to be let off the hook.
“Mark you were going to say something please go ahead. The office can wait.” Her eyes pleading none of her teeth were showing this time. He paused, and then returned to his seat.
“Ok see here is the thing I know there are a lot of rumors going on around here about me, but none of them have the story completely right. Yes, I am here against my will, I mean if I had my choice I wouldn’t be here, but everyone decided it was for the best. A few months ago my . . .” he started to break down on her again she reached for a Kleenex “I’m sorry this will actually be the first time I say this out loud. My uncle killed himself about 3 months ago he was like a . . . he was a father to me. Everything I have done was to make him proud.”

“My town is small, everything I looked at reminded me of him. The little diner he would take me to, the park where we would sit and talk for hours, and of course his house. It seemed to follow me everywhere ‘cause every time I would turn around I would be in front of it, like my feet didn’t get the message that he was gone. My mom just did not care she would try sometimes, but it always seemed really forced like she would rather do something else. I guess you could say I freaked out on her, but after losing the best person that ever walked into my life I think it was warranted.” He stopped and looked to her for approval.

“Mrs. Stevens” the intercom interrupted for the second time that day.
“WHAT!” she said in a forceful, but respectful tone.
“Your husband is on the phone again and says he needs to speak with you.”
“Tell him I’m with a student and that I will call him when I am finished. Thank-you” to show that this conversation was over. She returned her attention to Mark  “Please continue I’m sorry about that.” This time no toothless smile; no smile at all just an honest look of concern for a student.

“So anyway my mom she just couldn’t handle it so she shipped me out here which I guess is ok. It’s a better school and a better neighborhood, but I have nothing to remind me of him here. Which explains why I’m wearing a jacket in the middle of a heat wave.” He said with a smile as she nodded. “He gave me this. He had one just like it and I loved it. I would go to his house and curl up on the couch with it as a blanket. It was so smooth and it was not like anything I had ever seen before. For my thirteenth birthday he gave it to me, it was big back then too.”

She could not tell if he was talking to her or if he was talking to the jacket. He sat there stroking the jacket as if remembering a moment with his uncle. She glanced above his head to the clock, no wonder Bob called, it was getting close to five and when she was going to be late she would at least call him to let him know.

“So what’s the problem why can’t you just write about your uncle he seems to have been a positive influence on you?”
“I failed him. I did everything I could to stop him and I couldn’t. I failed him.” He started crying again.

Karen’s maternal instinct took over and she kneeled over to him and hugged him trying to comfort as best she could. “Mind if I ask why he did it?” Not letting her go he spoke over her shoulder. 

“He had this girl. . . she didn’t know what she had. He was a great man he just well he had a hard time with money. It wasn’t like he didn’t try he just couldn’t seem to make ends meet. She left him and he fell apart. I told him he needed to stay to see me become the man he would be proud of one day. I begged him and I told him I loved him; nothing worked. I told him I would never forgive him now I don’t feel like I can.”

“Your uncle wouldn’t want you to blame yourself. Usually when people get to that point there is no point of return. Please don’t take this the wrong way but he probably didn’t even hear you.” He let go and pulled back from her.

“But . . . he told me he loved me too he had to have heard me.” He started again to cry,  “How the hell am I suppose to write a paper on this if I can’t even say it out loud. I don’t want some teacher to look at me all sappy for the rest of the year. Which is why I am talking to you about it, unless I want to, I never have to see you again.”

“I have an idea … how about writing about the great things you and your uncle did. Write about the diner and the park and especially the jacket. That is a great story.”

She told him as she reached for a sheet of paper 

“Ok you have the diner, the park, and the jacket those can be the three paragraphs for the body and then all you need is the introduction and the conclusion. For the intro you could tell them about your uncle. Like is he your dad’s brother or your mom’s brother stuff like that. In the conclusion you could just sum up how you felt about him.”

“I don’t think I can do that in just one paragraph.” As he glanced at his watch,

“Do you mind if I . . . oh crap I didn’t realize it was so late I’m sure you want to get home. Why didn’t you stop my rambling?” He said as he started to gather up his things.

“Don’t worry about it. We can work on your conclusion together and then we call it a night?”

Bob knew where she kept the frozen dinners he could take care of himself and she could stop and get something on the way home. Dinner was not the problem. Once again it would be a single hard taco for one at the dinner table while he selfishly gripped about teachers pushing their work on her. He would not want to sit through the story of Mark and she wouldn’t bother him with it. She learned a while ago it was a waste of breath.

It took them another hour to finish the conclusion. He seemed happy with it, but did not think it completely wrapped up his feelings for his uncle. It was getting time for the janitors to lock the building for the night. He told her thank you and headed for the door never looking back. She packed up her things and walked out to her car. As she started to crank it she saw Mark ride by in his old beat up Ford; the thought of following him came and went. Deciding it was a bad idea she drove home hoping that Mark would again appear in her room another day.

------------------------------------------------------

So there you go … what do you guys think?!

-Marcy (@beaslma)

No comments:

Post a Comment