Friday, February 20, 2015

Lessons of a fangirl

I am a total Bizzaro, but I find it super weird that I am not an isolated incident. My parental units produced for me a younger brother, I'm not really sure why either but still it's happened and it produced two pretty awesome nieces so it's ok. Even though my brother and I share similar traits we are polar opposites! It has always fascinated me that he and I were raised in the same house, by the same parents, went to the same schools, had a lot of the same teachers, being only 3 years apart we even had friends in the same circles.


So how did we become such a study in black and white? What molded me into such a special fucking snowflake? 

We were allowed a lot if the same experiences but it's the way we respond to our experiences that began our different paths. Most of our responses are ingrained in us based on our teachings, likes, and our interests. And there lies our big differences. At some point mine and my brothers interests diverged and I....I took the fangirl path less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. (My apologies to Robert Frost). So while Ray (My brother who does have a name you know) chose normal more traditional interests, I fell into the fangirl life.
 

I fangirl most over tv shows, books, and movies, and when you submerge yourself in a lifestyle you take with you a few lessons along the way. What are some of them? Oh I'm so glad you asked I happen to have a list right here ....

§   Psych (tv show) taught me that having at least one really great friend can get you through anything
§   Doctor Who (tv show) taught me that it doesn't matter where you go, or when you go, or even sometimes who you go with, but that there is always an adventure to be had if you're willing to find it.
§   Scooby Doo (tv show) taught me that the only real monsters out there are people out for themselves, usually hiding behind costumes....working at carnivals
§   Horror movies (movies) taught me that sex kills. That running upstairs to hide gets you killed. That running into the basement gets you killed. Taking heels on a camping trip gets you killed. Having big tits and good hair gets you killed. Essentially just stop what you're doing, look around and realize only 1 of you is going to live.
§   Harry Potter (Book Series) taught me that no matter how unimportant we feel, we are always the heroes of our own stories
§   Shakespeare (Literature) taught me that it's a tragedy when everyone dies and young love never lasts, but that men dressed as women are always funny.
§   Star Wars (movies) taught me that you always need a good copilot when you travel. And even if nobody else understands, your best friend always knows what your saying. (C3PO & R2D2/Han & Chewie)
§   Kung fu movies (movies) taught me that with enough training, no matter how small you are, right will win over might.
§   Marvel (Comics and movies) taught me that even heroes can have a dark side and every villain has the potential to be heroic.
§   1970s Blaxploitation movies (movies) taught me to damn the man and fight the power!
§   Godzilla movies (movies) taught me that even though people may not like you because your ugly, loud and constantly tearing shit up, you just keep on being you and maintain the earthly balance. Also try not to stomp on too many villagers in the process.
§   Quentin Tarantino films (movies) taught me that it is impossible to overuse the word "fuck".
§   The Muppets (tv show and movies) taught me that although we may all be bizzare and we all have our own kinks (A pig and a frog? Gonzo and his seduction of chickens?), we can all come together with a semi famous guest star to create a beautiful song and dance!
§   Zombie (movies and tv shows) have taught me that some are fast and some are slow (I prefer the slow) but that usually trying to hold up in a mall never works.
§   Calvin & Hobbes (Comic books) taught me that to give a voice to the voiceless improves each and everyday. And that you should never get between a stuffed tiger and a can of tuna.


Ok..... So some of these lessons I've learned are practical some are not, I admit that. But knowing what I do, I could probably kung fu my way through a zombie apocalypse better than my brother and that makes me the better sibling. So I win. And in the end, kicking my little brothers ass is what matters.


Golden (@theonlygolden) 

No comments:

Post a Comment