Saturday, December 2, 2017

2017 Christmas Calendar

PLEASE find below a Jpeg of the 2017 Christmas TV Schedule, in original size ... which makes it look like it is falling off the page but that makes it a better quality when you click and save it.  I am also putting a link to download the PDF which is, in my opinion, the easiest way to see it. I think it’s best to save the PDF to your favorite portable device so you can keep the calendar handy. It also saves your eyes by allowing you to zoom in and out to read that ever so small type. The jpeg breaks up the more you zoom so if you can the PDF is the way to go.


This year I tried to highlight new specials (meaning had not aired previously before Jan. 1, 2017) in GREEN but as they are new be mindful of what you and your family sit down to watch. I vouch not for their quality, their rating level, or even their sappiness. As always this calendar is filled with new shows, some old classics, and some mediocre stuff that just fills the time slots throughout the month that are fun to have in the background as you wrap gifts, make cookies, fill out Christmas cards .... though my lawyers tell me I should inform you not to do all of those things at once, then again you are an adult and if you can multitask go for it, I myself would burn the cookies, waste the paper and end up sending Christmas cards to the wrong person.  

Unfortunately, the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) started their Christmas right after thanksgiving which is why it’s hard to find Frosty, Rudolph, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I’m not seeing that these will be reairing but I mean that’s just dumb right?! So keep an eye on those coming back to your screens. I hope they do. As stated below, I can’t find the Grinch cartoon showing in December. It was all over the place throughout November but starting Dec. 1st it’s only the Jim Cary movie which is fun but the cartoon is fantastic.

Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries (HMM on the calendar btw), Freeform, Lifetime, and Lifetime Movie Network have been vomiting Christmas themed movies since like last October (meaning 2016) it seems so only a hand full of theirs made the listings, but truthfully on some days they were the only game in town. If I needed room that was the first place I went to cut and trust me on some days it was a very necessary … but tough decision.

As a wanna be writer it amazes me that that they take the same concept, really the same story, change to a different “snow covered town,” change out the actors (usually Candance Cameron Bure for Lacey Chabert (from Party of Five fame, and Meg on the 1st season of Family Guy, and Eliza on the Wild Thornberrys—didn’t know that did you? See you learned something by reading my rambling. Good for you!)), add a super cute guy for said female actor to fall for even through her heart belongs to another (another person or her work), drop both into said “snow covered town," wait for the spark to ignight then end on a happy/sappy note as their lives become one. Put a new title on the movie, create a poster of the beautiful people, and BOOM we got us a show!!

As always there are rules or as the guys at my work call them ….. “disclaimers” ….

  • NO E-MAILS about taking Christ out of Christmas, it’s just a really long word. used over and over again, and using X-Mas allows for more shows on the already full calendar.
    • Thanks for your understanding.
    • For those that don’t understand I’ll be glad to remove you from the list just let me know.
  • I live in the central time zone, the times on this calendar reflect that, adjust accordingly.
    • That said unless otherwise stated the times are PM
  • This calendar does not focus on established shows “Christmas special episodes” so watch out for those … some are fun to re-watch this time of year. Psych for instance has a great Christmas themed episode, and so did How I Met Your Mother, Friends, Big Bang Theory, Wings, Family Ties, and other established shows.
    • Again, that is not what this is about.  Those are fun but those also air all year around, then again with Hallmark and Freeform I’m starting to think the ones that made the calendar are also available all year but if we go down that road all of this falls apart so … happy thoughts!
  • This calendar contains shows I want to see, so a mixture of adult themed shows/movies and kid themed shows/movies are represented. Some are classics and some are new, so PLEASE be mindful of what is on before you sit the kids down with popcorn to watch. If your favorites didn’t make the list… well make your own calendar next year.
    • Don’t call me cause your little one watched some holiday movie on Lifetime and now has “questions”. . . . that’s your mess not mine.
¾    Please NOTE: The Disney version of a Christmas Carol (AKA the computer animated Jim Carrey version) is a little dark and can be scary (much like the original story btw), you might want to check it out before you and little man/lady plop down with popcorn and a blanket to “watch a classic” that may also result in sleepless nights for both you and said child. Not me I’ll be sleeping like a baby due to a sleeping pill, you know like an adult. 
    • That is also why Psych The Movie (Dec. 7th USA) made the calendar cause it’s gonna be awesome and you need to see it and so alerting you to it’s presence is your Christmas Present this year!
¾    You are welcome … no thank you note will be required but it is polite to send one. Just saying. Your grandma would be proud of you but whatever, I’m sure she’s proud of you on the inside.
¾    PS extra credit if you know why there is a cool pineapple on the calendar to mark this occasion.
  • Keep an eye out for additional shows/movies that pop up throughout the month as networks change their lineups.
  • Feel free to add your own specials and traditions to the calendar that’s what it is there for.
  • As stated some channels have been vomiting Holiday specials for several months so if a network had several great specials in a row I only listed one figuring you’d be alerted to the others as you watched, hey something had to give right!?
  • For you stay at home mom’s they run specials all day long and for the most part my calendar focuses on the after work hour times since that is when I can watch.
¾    That’s right it’s all about me I just share the wealth cause I’m awesome like that!
¾    If you make your own calendar and don’t share it … well you are just the worst kind of person.

A few programs of note:
  • A returning favorite made the list (yippie the list is working) Ernest Saves Christmas comes on AMC several times this month, check it out at least once, or twice or many many times … know what I’m saying Vern?!
  • TCM is one again doing their “Night at the Moviesevery Monday starting at 5:45 which will feature different specials and behind the scenes interviews. Holiday movies on the schedule include Miracle on 34th Street, It’s a Wonderful Life, and A Christmas Carol to name a few. They won’t say when they will air so you’ll have to check it out every Monday to see what’s on that week.
  • I can only find A Christmas Story during the TBS Christmas Day Marathon so make sure you work it into your Christmas celebrations.
    • Bless you Ted Turner, you crazy old man, may this tradition live forever!!
    • I think it’s a rule you watch at least once.
o   If it’s not a rule it should be.
    • I also think it should be illegal that that’s the only time it is going to air so keep an eye out for it maybe it will pop up a few extra times.
    • Then again it’s 24 freaking hours of Ralphie if you miss it that’s on you. SHAME…SHAME!
  • National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, one of the best movies ever, comes on several times this year on multiple channels but especially on Freefrom and AMC.
    • Bless you FreeForm! Bless you AMC! Bless you Chevy Chase! Bless us everyone!
    • Seriously If you don’t know the joy of Clark finally getting the lights to work…well I feel sorry for you and your family and the people that know you because you are missing the joy in your life. Correct that this year please! Don’t be Todd guys, who I’m sure cheered when Margo was attacked by Eddie’s dog.
    • PS did you know that the lady who plays Clarks mom was the same lady that played Belle on Alice all those years ago.
      1. I didn’t until Mom pointed it out this year, see kids let that be a lesson it’s never too late to learn new things.
      2. Feel free to use this tidbit at you viewing party (during commercial breaks of course – no one likes a movie talker) to gain bonus points with your friends.
  • It’s A Wonderful Life –  Dec. 9th and reairs on Dec. 24th on NBC It’s also featured a few times on TCM (as said note above states) so you should have plenty of time to see if Clarence gets his wings!
  • The “boys” in my life informed me that DIEHARD should have been on the calendar …. boys are silly … however and I couldn’t find it showing anywhere other than say Cinemax, or via online viewing which my boss informs me is all that really matters anyway.
    • So yeah there’s that. If you want to watch it … those are your options.
o   Sorry fellas. I tried, kinda.

A few programs of note that are not “Christmas” related but interesting enough to make the calendar include:
    • Psych the Movie  - Dec. 7th USA …. Seriously watch this and enjoy.
    • CNN Heroes: An All Star Tribute – Dec. 17th – it’s nice seeing that in a world full of insanity there are some people out there trying to do good and are being recognized for it. It’s a really inspirational night even if this year you have to deal with Kelly Rippa, so check it out.
Anyway, the intention of this calendar, much like the Halloween one is to get your family to pause and spend some time together making memories. In this season where we spend so much time rushing around we forget to enjoy the down time and enjoy the family time. Great specials come and go and if we don’t watch they will go forever.

Today’s “classic Christmas special” may be next year’s no show on the calendar. That’s the other reason for this calendar, if we stop watching they will stop showing. I’m looking at you CBS and Yes Virginia which I’m sure is airing but I can’t find out when so keep an eye out for it. As stated, I can’t find the Grinch cartoon, Freeform aired it like a billion times in their run up to their 25 days of Christmas but not one airing during the 25 days of Christmas, nope after Nov. 30th all we get is the live action movie which I like but the cartoon has a special place in my heart and the people who decided not to air it during December have a special place in a very hot climate waiting for them. That’s how important it is people.

The point is, just because you have these shows on DVD, Blueray, or via online ordering, take the time to watch it with your family as it airs so that it will air for me for years to come.  If not for me do it for the children, as they are our future, according to some nice lady who I believe has passed away but her voice and legend continue to live on.

So sit back, laugh, smile, and cry (some of these are sad, I mean who doesn’t cry when George Bailey is standing next to the tree with Mary and his friends are coming in to save the Bailey Savings and Loan and Clarence gets his wings, oh no did I give the end away?! SPOILER ALERT) and have a safe and GREAT Christmas!


PS – as always we thank you for reading our ramblings and thoughts, thanks for joining the journey of two girls trying to find their place in this weird wonderful world! #SayWhatMG





No comments:

Post a Comment