Thursday, December 28, 2017

Mandatory Year End Post

We started this blog in August 2014 and as I look towards the end of 2017 and towards 2018 I can’t help but wonder …. Why someone would take the time to read what we have written. I mean 12,909 times people have clicked on this blog in the last three years, you’d think that you guys would have better things to read. I mean don’t get me wrong …. I appreciate you all being here I just wonder if you don’t have a head injury, lost a bet in hell, or are under court order forcing you to be here. Either way … welcome and I hope in some small way we have entertained you.  According to my calculations we had over 24 posts this year and had 5 months with more than 3 posts so that’s exciting. I even got Golden to do a few posts in 2017, here’s hoping she makes it back in 2018 more.


I will admit this time last year I was very wary of 2017. I didn’t have high aspirations for it …frankly I wasn’t sure we’d even be around for yearend post to be possible so since we are …. 2017 is a win, I guess, I mean jeezz that bar was set really really low huh? I spent most of the year at near panic attack status and my social media break during Lent helped get me back in check somewhat. It was that serious people. I have also decided based on my previous fears to “seize the day” as it were and do things outside of my comfort zone. I can honestly say for the first time in my professional life I did not neglect my vacation time. You know what was so great about that….work didn’t fall apart. Everything continued as needed and I realized for the first time really that it truly wasn’t all on my shoulders, something my boss has been telling me for years.

This vacation time was spent having a really great time. I started the year with a trip to Auburn to see the Gymnastics team do their thing (we wanted to go to a softball game but no tickets available), then Golden’s birthday trip to the Zoo in May. In July I went with a friend to see Asia/Journey in concert and fart around a bit at the Beach being lazy in a pool (that’s right people I worse a swimsuit in public and no one died (that I’m aware of anyway)). In August/September Dragon Con took full stage, and in October Nashville/Ed Sheeran then to cap off the year Disney with Golden. I made a deal with myself last year I was going to travel more, spend more time with friends and family and have experiences not just wish I was doing things. I took over 3 work weeks (15 days total) off this year at various points of the year and still have over 3 weeks in the vacation bank. According to HR I can also be sick for a month should I need to utilize that, here’s hoping I don’t, then again a mental health day every once in a while might be a good idea. I’ll cough now in case I need it *cough*.

That’s crazy to me, but that’s what some 14 years of neglecting your vacation time gets you I guess. That’s another mile stone I reached, I have now been at my job for 14 years. If work were a kid it would be a teenager about to start studying for his/her permit as he/she stands at the top of the stairs yelling they hate me for being well an adult and “interfering in their life” or some jazz like that according to TV/movies I watch. As it stands, I’m still not married, not even in a relationship of any type, and kids are so far out of my radar that I’ve decided I’m ok with not ever having any, that’s what Nephews are for right?! Speaking of Nephews in 2018 the oldest will be graduating from High School and he’s already been accepted to Auburn University for the fall. He’s really stupid smart and has gotten over $8K in scholarship monies so far and they are still rolling in. I’m insanely proud of him and yet also worried about him at the same time. I’m sure he’ll do fine but I know that my first semester (Quarter … we were on Quarters then) was rough and no matter how many times I tell him that he thinks I got this, which is fine cause I did the same thing when my brother tried to warn me. He’s going to have find out himself and I know that but I wish he could learn from the mistakes I made. He’ll be fine, he’ll stumble and pick himself back up and I just might have to make it to a few games next year to you know check on him and all.

I did a few things this year for me, I went to the doctor for some long overdue things that could have waited but are making my life easier so I’m glad I did it. My blood pressure is more under control than it has been which is, as Martha Stewart would say “a good thing.” I lost a little bit of weight but would like to do more. I’ve never really dieted (as anyone who has seen me can tell) but I do think it’s time I did something for real about this weight, the issue is I really like to eat, and I’m also a stress eater. I don’t eat a lot but what I do eat isn’t good for me, lots of fried food, salty stuff that kind of thing. Chips are my weakness… I LOVE CHIPS any kind all day long. I think it’s the crunch. I also love opening that bag for the first time…… “Hi…My name is Marcy and I’m addicted to the crunch of eating chips!”


2018 I hope for more of the same …. Travel, time with friends, time with family, fun not just work … that’s the goal. I already have a few fun things lined up for 2018 including a few concerts and another trip to Disney in October with Christina and her family. We are going to trick or treat in the Magic Kingdom people! That sounds like so much fun ... mental note to self gotta find a costume. I assume that we will do Dragon Con again but it’s far too early to make those plans, ha! Of course I’ll continue my involvement at our new church – um … I’ve now been there over a year can I still call it my “new” church? – These silly people have appointed me as the record keeper for the monies coming in and out of the church, which is very daunting cause me and numbers don’t get along. Lucky I have people watching my back to make sure I’m doing it correctly, bless them. I assume I’ll also help with Vacation Bible School again and more Kid’s Night Out events are in my future as well I’m sure. The kids seem to enjoy them and I think the parents do as well.

I will write another “New Years” post with resolutions/guidelines for the coming year, but I’ll admit 2018 doesn’t feel as scary as 2017 did, or maybe my brain is just numb to it all…who knows.

Either way … thanks for reading, thanks for being my sounding board, and thanks for not being bored even if I’ve started treating this thing like my diary of events.

Have a fantastic New Year see you on the other side!


Marcy (@beaslma)

PS – in 2018 I’m hoping to get Golden (@theonlygolden) back on this blog, 2017 was not good to her, it was downright evil actually, here is to an even better 2018 for her as well as for all reading these words.

No comments:

Post a Comment