Sunday, March 13, 2022

A little …. me time.

I played hooky from Church today, cause I needed a me day. I slept in, got some laundry going, watched some trash TV, reset all out clocks cause of the end of daylight savings time and just kind of … hung out. AT some point today I might do my taxes. Mine are never really that hard it’s just waiting for all the documentation to arrive so I can do it then … procrastination. Eventually however I’ll sit down, download the program and get it done. 

Yesterday me and my coworkers participated in a chili cook off that ended up being a very long day. We have been doing this for several years, skipping last year cause of Covid (in 2020 it was the last thing we did before everything shut down). It was pretty cool cause they moved it this year to an area that we are helping revamp and so it was like our project was literally on display. At one point the project manager of that project was talking to someone else when a huge 18 wheeler went through the Roundabout that we designed and everything stopped in our tent as we watched this huge truck make its way through it. One of the big deals of that part of the project was that Mardi Gras Floats had to be able to navigate it (successfully done a few weeks ago btw) and big 18-wheelers that often used the route needed to be able to navigate it as well. After what we saw on Saturday … mission accomplished. We were all quite proud.

I got there at 8:30 but the guys doing the actual cooking got there at 5AM. It was stupid cold. Like in the low 30s cold and windy. The cold wasn’t so bad cause you could put on layers but that wind just cut you in half. When I got there at 8:30 it was still pretty bad but overall it was a good team building day of fun, laughter, selling our chili to people, and raising money for the American Cancer Society. I get there around 9ish cause by then the table is clear of all the “food prep” and I can put out the tablecloth with our name on the font of course and the give a way items and make the booth “pretty.” Every year once we are there, I think damn we could have done more to decorate but our focus is always on the chili not the extras around it. We are hearing that our chili came in 2nd … but no official results yet. Everyone that tried it said it was good and that’s good enough for us. So all in all a great day.

However, I decided to take today as a me day. I’m doing what I want when I want and how I want. Which includes updating everyone on this blog. I am now some 13 days into Lent. I have not had caffeine, nor been on social media since Mardi Gras (March 1st). The lack of caffeine has nearly done me in. The headache was unbareable for the first 3 or 4 days. At one point it hurt to even touch my head let alone brushing my hair. At one point I almost downed a coke just to make it go away. My SIL said “you can take a break on Sundays” but I thought one coke would end it all so I refrained. I have had more water than I think I have ever drank in my life. I have also used the bathroom more than I have ever in my life. Which I guess is a good thing. I can see inches falling away, slowly but surely. Plus I feel better. I’m also sleeping more than I ever have. I seem to be overly exhausted either due to lack of caffeine or the last few months of non-stop insanity. Either way it’s been nice getting some actual rest. I guess that’s what the lack of being on my phone will do for a person.

Golden is also doing some self care during these 40 days, she’s doing her 40 acts of kindness as usual but has also started a vow of silence on Sundays. No using her phone for social media, no texting or talking just her working in her art therapy books, journals, reading, and just playing with her dog. I’m glad she’s doing that cause I think she really needs a day to recharge and chill.

There’s a lot to look forward to in the next few weeks, the SEC Gymnastics Championships, the NCAA Regionals, National Tournament, the Final 4, Invictus Games, French Open, Indianapolis 500, Wimbledon, all kinds of fun athletics on display. So it should be an interesting few months!

Hope you guys are having a great Lent!

Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment