Saturday, March 28, 2015

Adulting whether I want to or not!

Hold on to your hats guys I have ... a confession .... this is hard for me ...ok ... but .... I’m …. an…..adult. whew I said it and yet it still feels wrong. I mean I don’t feel like an adult, but everything in my life is leading me to believe that at some point I went to sleep perfectly fine and woke up as an adult. I need someone to hold me.

Let’s look at the facts. I have a 40+ hour full time job with benefits, vacation time (that I honestly neglect) and sick leave. I say 40+ hours cause I rarely work just 40 hours. I have a job that sometimes I’ll work the + hours and don’t charge because it’s necessary to get it all done but am not suppose to have “overtime” unless preapproved. At my job they have recently decided I’m going to get a laptop so that some of the + hours can be done at home. My boss sent an e-mail to OUR boss for approval saying and I quote, “consented to be assigned a laptop, meaning she can now work 120 hours a week instead of just 80.” sadly … he was only half kidding. I check my work e-mail on our web server several times during the weekend just “incase” anyone has asked for anything (hence the need for a laptop I guess).

Because of my 40+ hours spent working I often spend the weekend catching up on other Adult things like laundry, cleaning up around the house, washing the car, instead of playing video games, watching DVDs, and relaxing.

When someone mentions going and doing something fun I immediately think about my work schedule BEFORE I think about the cost of whatever the fun thing was. I really used to be the other way around I’d be like hecks yeah then think about the cost of said thing then think about how I’d schedule it around life. 

I wake up now at the same time every single day without an alarm clock, which is the same one I used all the way through college. The first thing I do is stand up and listen to just about every bone in my body POP, then I start to walk and realize that my knee has decided NOT to be a knee today and grab the wall or bed to steady myself. Then hobble into the bathroom to do what needs to be done.

I find myself sitting in the chair at night begging for the clock to turn to 9 so I can go to bed “at a decent hour” and not be a “loser” who went to bed before dinner when what I really want to do sometimes is go to bed before dinner! Then I get in the bed and lay there until midnight unable to sleep anyway sigh.
 
My friends who in my brain are the true adults send me pictures of their kids, invites to their wedding, post about their anniversary dinners etc., leaving me to feel like the ninth grader hanging out with the seniors who just don't notice I'm not at their level. 

However nothing made me feel more adult this week than joining a PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION at the insistence of my boss. He told me to look at a few and see which one I found would be more helpful to the group as a whole. I found one and got excited, read that again EXCITED, cause it offered training classes, had a local chapter, and had a ton of information sharing opportunities which I have spent most of my Saturday morning looking at.

Ironically in my “research to determine if I am in fact an adult,” which should show right there that I am, I found a “test” to measure my Adult level AND SAVED THE LINK TO TAKE AT A LATER TIME when I can really focus!!!!

Oh my G-O-S-H …. I am an adult …. I need someone to hold me, give me some chocolate milk in a fun cup (maybe have My Little Pony on it) and put on a fun Disney movie S-T-A-T.

I’m still fighting this “adult” thing by keeping non-adult things in my line of eyesight at all time. Such as my collection of flash drives, Homer Simpson, Voltron, Ninja, Mickey Mouse, on my desk, the fun sitting around things like Loki, and some “McDonald Happy Meal toys” watching me work both at home and at the office. However I fear that even that is in jeopardy. See this laptop they are getting me will have a docking station, and TWO SCREENS which I a way of forcing me to Adult and clean up my desk as there simply won’t be room for all my treasures, as my mom used to call them tho now she calls them "clutter." Oh and can we talk about the fact that I'm at the age where when I do order the Happy Meal for the toy they assume it's "for my kid!"



I spend far more time than I’d like to admit playing games on my cell phone, currently addicted to Strung Along, a fun marionette game where you have to get the guy to walk through this insane obstacle course but you have to have the timing right or his strings break. It’s totally addictive and equally frustrating. I also am a fan of the Trivia Crack game if only cause there are several friends that I can’t beat to save my life and it’s my own personal mission to beat them. I WILL BEAT YOU BRETT … IT’S COMING AND YOU WILL BE SHOCKED!

 
I also signed up through my company to play in a co-ed Volleyball game, which should be a struggle with the aforementioned knee situation but I figure a few drinks in me and my knee can suck it. I loved playing Volleyball in high school and was really good at it, until an unfortunate incident involving bleachers and mis hit ball and my getting it back over the net literally at all costs.  
 
I think it’s time I went to the foot of the throne of Golden who has mastered the ADULT in the real world, and bad as I wanna be at home and I would like to be her apprentice.


Yall have a good weekend I’m going to go sort some clothes for the laundry while I watch Big Hero 6.

Take that Adulthood.
Marcy out

UPDATE: I posted a link to a survey "How Adult Are you?" Upon taking it i'm removing it from here cause it has very little do to without being an Adult...in my opinion so well played internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment