Saturday, October 31, 2015

Happy Halloween … here’s free Music!!!!!



First off ….. I hope you and your family had a fantastic Halloween filled with fun, laughter, costumes, candy and tricks or treats depending on how you swing. I’ve seen some really awesome costume pictures posted, and not quite as many pumpkins posted but I can’t say much cause for the first time in years I haven’t carved a pumpkin this year either. To say the last week of my life was insane is a HUGE understatement. 10-14 hour work days were not fun at all.


Second off …. FREE MUSIC!!!! Loyal readers know I LOVE music and if it’s free then it’s even better. A few years ago a friend of mine came into town for Bayfest (RIP Bayfest) and before Eric Church hit the stage The Springs hit the stage. I LOVED it. They were a fun group to watch live and I immediately came home and bought their EP off Itunes. I’ve been watching them from a far ever sense. By far the best song from that album was Stand for those who can’t … and Summer all year long. :D

This group has gone through some changes but at it’s core is their need to get their music out there for the fans, with 7 free songs available on their website, some of which were on their EP. In 2014 they released a 12 track “CD” released on Itunes. Worth every penny. They are growing with every track they create, and every song they cover on YouTube. Seriously check out their version of

Tim McGraw’s Meanwhile Back at Mama’s and you’ll fall in love with this group https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-sGU26A5L0

Another good one is their cover of the Florida Georgia Line song “Dirt”.      https://youtu.be/0pNMW7IGNNI   

(I really wish these were one the 7 or even on the CD but oh well that’s why I have you tube right?! :D


They’ve done it again. So who are the Springs Band? They are a country group, now a duo, consisting of Stewart Halcomb and Holly Helms, I mean my bad Stewart and Holly Halcomb (they recently got married) who are both Alabama natives. Stewart was born on Halloween (10/31) and as a gift to the fans they released not only 7 new songs but a brand new website. Check it out here ..


They are asking for feedback on their new songs so I thought BLOG POST (I’m a multitasker after all) !!! :D so here goes … Like with my review of Start Here by Maddie and Tae I’m posting my initial reaction to each song as I listened to it for the first time, then I refine my “critique” as I listen a few more times. It’s my belief that when you listen to music for the first time you hear the words but not the melody, or vice versa. Then after a few listens you start taking in the entire track. :D

I love that so many of these tracks are original to this band, after so many covers it’s nice to hear their voice come out on these tracks! :D

As Long As I’m With You
I really like this song I do … I like the melody, the harmony they create and I like the idea behind this song, I do NOT however like they “hey” in the middle of the lyrics of the chorus, I guess at a live  show it’s a good place to introduce audience participation, but it just takes away from what they are trying to do with the song.

Everybody Runs
I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! Any song that paints a picture into my head from the first lyric makes me happy. I like how it showcases the range of Holly without blowing out my ear drums to do it. Upon my second or third listen I was already singing along with this one. I could TOTALLY see this as a Highway Find, I hope someone at the Highway hears it and makes that happen. I’ve done my part by tweeting the Highway (I assume that’s how a Highway Find is … well found …) I wish they had a spot on their site where you could really recommend Highway Finds.

Hey Time
This is another that I’ve heard before, they posted it on youtube (if you have exclusive access … which I do) and both versions are perfect. I love the melody of this song, it reminded me of Amen written by Bryan White, performed by Love and Theft and as I’ve said before any songs that makes me think of Bryan White is a winner in my book. This one showcases the talents of Holly and was written by Holly and Stewart with their friend Daisy Mallory.

I Just Might
Not gonna lie I’ve heard this one before. They posted it somewhere (Facebook maybe?) and I loved it. I like having a more “professional” version of it cause it showcases Stewart so well.

I Just Wanna Know
This song perfectly showcases the harmony that happens when Stewart and Holly sing together. That makes me happy. Can we talk about how the fast tongue twisterness of this track just really works with this song. (that’s right I said Twisterness). Gotta love a good harmony. When this track starts immediately think of Garth Brook’s song but I can’t put my finger on which track. Something about the guitar riff makes me thing of the Garth Brooks song. I wish I could remember which one it was cause it is distracting me from this song.

One Thing
This is a really great “beat bullying” song but with a new twist. I’d tell you most but you need to hear it. It’s more about celebrating what makes you different than about what the “bully did” at least to me.

Good Night
This one starts off very aggressive … it also feels me with anxiety cause it’s basically a list of everything that can go wrong in a day … however what I love about is the message that anyone can make any day better for someone else. The right word at the right time, a hug, a smile it all makes a difference. Giving someone a smile in a store, telling a coworker good job on a project they are working on, anything could literally make their day better and this song is a good reminder of that. Thank you Holly and Stewart for this track … it made me smile and that is always a good thing.

Final thoughts …. I love how this group complements one another perfectly and yet also know their strengths and how to showcase each other at the right time on a single track. I love the way they blend together. Each track they release they grow as a team, they are better as artist because of it. I can’t wait to hear what they do next.

So there you have it. Those are my thoughts on their new music but what I LOVE about music is that you might feel entirely different about these songs. So check out their new website, get their music, and then tell them what you think about their music and wish Stewart a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (they are super active on social media) . . .

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesprings/
Instagram:  https://instagram.com/thesprings/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/thespringsband
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/thespringsband
ITunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-springs/id890654834

Happy Halloween!!!!! I hope you got more than Rocks, unlike the kids here who were stuck at home due to the weather :( boooooo Mother Nature!!!!!


Marcy (@beaslma)

No comments:

Post a Comment