Tuesday, March 5, 2019

AUBURN GYMNASTICS


Before I shut down my Social Media for Lent I have to give a shout out to my Auburn Gymnastics team and let them know that while I’m not going to be cheering them on online I’ll be thinking about them daily, sending them positive vibes, watching from the sidelines and wishing them the best SEC Championship ever cause this team deserves all of it.


It’s been a fantastic season for the Auburn Tigers …. 4-0 at home … 3-2 away … 7-2 overall. Their only losses in the SEC coming at the hands of Florida (the eventual SEC Champions) and Alabama, whom they came within like 3 toe point points and a stuck landing of taking down in Tuscaloosa. Read that again .. I’ll wait. As a matter of fact if Auburn had gotten the score they put up against Florida in Tuscaloosa they would have tied the meet with Alabama. It was their second highest road score of the season and gave them a 2nd place finish in the SEC Regular Season. Just saying this team is capable of taking the entire tournament. 

This does not come as a surprise to me. I have seen this coming. As I think I have said before on this Blog, my dorm for all 4 years at Auburn was the closest dorm (at that time) to their practice facility so they would put the Freshman Gymnast in our dorm. In an effort to support these ladies we formed a group that would go to all the home meets and cheer the girls on. We'd put up things in their hallway with positive thoughts and encouragement for the weeks they had away meets. Heck I often drove them to practice so they wouldn't have to walk it. Gotta save those legs, they might have also been running late ha! During my 2nd or third year the group of girls in our dorm (cause I lived in the dorm all 4 years at Auburn (my last two years in a room by myself) since I had a job in the dorm that basically paid me to do my homework) came to the front desk one day while I was working and said that they really appreciated my support and loved that I came to the meets but politely asked that I go to get a drink or a snack during beam cause I could be distracting.  


Jeff Graba, pictured, and his staff have been building to this for years. He joined this program in 2010, I believe, and had a vision from his first day in the gym with these ladies. They have been planning for it, recruiting for it, and preparing these ladies for this shot, this chance and now they are going to grab it and hold it high. Graba has given them the tools, the coaches, the drive, the determination and the belief that they can win it all. Or completely fall on their faces … that’s how Gymnastics works. It’s not what you have done it’s what you are doing right this second that counts. No matter what happens this year has been so much fun to watch and this team can only build on this moving forward. I've said it before and will say it again. The FUTURE of Auburn Gymnastics is strong


There are 6 freshmen on this team, several that have already made their mark on the events this season including the amazing Derrian Gobourne who is so much fun to watch. If you haven’t seen her perform yet you really need to treat yourself and look her up, she’s won several all-around titles this year and I can’t wait to watch her evolve over the next few years. She can only get better which should scare the rest of the teams out there.  She’s powerful, talented and just a joy to watch work. Then you have 5 Sophomores on the team ready to take over leadership roles when asked including my home town favorite Allie Riddle an excellent Beam walker who does the other events pretty well too. I can't wait to watch her over the next few years too. She's from my hometown so I have a special place in my heart for her. GO UMS Bulldogs.  



Our Seniors include Sam Cerio (Engineering), Taylor Krippner (Human Sciences), A’Miracal Phillips (Science and Mathematics), and the always consistent Abby Milliet (business). I’m gonna miss these ladies but look forward to seeing what’s in store from them off the mats. Each of these ladies have served as leaders on this team and are a large reason why this team is in the place they are in right this second. They have helped build the foundation that the rest will build upon moving forward. 

Auburn has two more meets before the SEC Championships (in New Orleans March 23rd BTW). One with Alabama, this weekend March 9th in Birmingham and another with Air Force Academy in the Auburn Arena on the 15th. Both events are great and fun events and allow Auburn to get that Bama monkey off their back before the SEC Championship which sets you up for the NCAA Championships which will be in Texas in April. I have no doubt in my mind that they can and will beat BAMA before this season ends. It's gonna happen. 




I tell you all of this because these young ladies deserve your love, support and respect. They put in the hours in the gym, more so during the off season. Their hard work is definitely paying off and it’s showing. Now we as fans need to continue to show up for them. 

War Eagle Ladies …. FINISH STONG!!!!!

Marcy (@beaslma)

No comments:

Post a Comment