Monday, March 18, 2019

SMPS SERC – Day 1


Day 1 was fun, relaxing but fun. Registration started at 9 but the first session wasn’t until 1. So I slept in a bit and took a little extra time getting ready just cause I could. Then I registered for the conference then went and got some lunch. At that point I ran into some of the ladies from my chapter but they weren’t planning to go to any of the events this afternoon so they went left and I went right. It was nice to not have to rush ...rush...rush. 


The first session was about obtaining certification known as CPSM. There’s a test that has to be taken to get it. I was hoping that the course would spend more time talking about the actual test not just why getting the certification was important. The two giving the course were very knowledgeable about the process and the reasons behind getting the certification. It was a nice first event don’t get me wrong but it wasn’t really what I was expecting. 


From there I came back to the room for a bit then decided to go to the 2nd session which was about how you can get more involved in SMPS and in your own chapter. That was a spur of the moment decision but I'm glad I went. It was very interesting to see the time, effort, and thought that has gone into this organization. It was given by the CEO of SMPS so that was cool. All of the speakers were from Headquarters and they spent a lot of time about how HQ could benefit the various chapters. 


My office is hosting a webinar next week for possible members to attend and they gave me some good ideas and conversation starters to use. Our chapter is considered a “developing chapter” cause we don’t meet the member requirements yet. We are about 10 shy but hope to get there within the next month or so. Five other members are attending the SERC so that’s been fun getting to know them a little better. We all went to dinner tonight and swapped stories and networked a bit with others there. I have so many business cards but can’t put a name with the card at the moment. It’s crazy how many people you can meet in the span of 5 minutes. 


Tomorrow is the first full day of the conference and starts up at 7:45 with a breakfast and the opening key note speaker then a full day of sessions. Several I’m very excited about others that I’m interested in but would be ok with if it were full and I had to bail. Ha! I’m glad I got to come to this event, I think it will be very beneficial and it’s definitely giving me the break I needed.

Marcy 
@beaslma

No comments:

Post a Comment