Monday, March 18, 2019

SMPS SERC – Travel Day

 

So on Sunday I woke up earlier than normal, grabbed my bag, and headed to the airport for my first ever SMPS SERC (Society for Marketing Professional Services Southeast Regional Conference). Last year my boss got to go in Atlanta and this year is my turn. As I walked out the door the handle on my bag broke and I thought well aint that a bitch. I hoped it was not an omen for the trip. I soldiered on cause I wasn’t repacking that bag into another bag at that point. I mean come on bag that wasn’t cool at all. 

The plane ride was uneventful which is just how I like em. It was my first time traveling American Airlines and no I wasn’t in the 737, I checked that last week. The plane however seemed really really really small. Like stupid small.  I’m usually a Delta girl, I like the brand, the people are always friendly and I just feel comfortable in their planes. However upon booking this flight I realized that my connection in Atlanta to Charlotte (cause you can’t do anything with Delta without it involving Atlanta) would have been taking off in Atlanta at the same thing that American would have been putting my luggage on the carousel for me to pick it up in Charlotte. AKA this time a direct flight won.


Upon arriving in Charlotte I went to find my rental car, another first for me, I chose Avis instead of Hurts my usual go to. Why did I choose Avis …. Cause one that’s what American Airlines was affiliated with, two I was able to get the car I wanted. See dear reader I’m in the process of thinking about my next car. My current Sonata is about 6 years old and while I’m like it to last a few more years I’m starting the process of thinking about it now. I’m ready for something different. I’m thinking Hyundai Kona (cause I love the look of it and the fact it’s kind of a newer car), but have also looked at the Santa Fe (I’d like to stay in the Hyundai family. I’ve also thought about the Honda CRV as an option. So I’m using this trip as a “test drive” of a vehicle of this type. I ended up renting a Hyundai Santa Fe. I do like the car, I liked the way it drove. I spend 90% of my time in my car alone so it’s hard for me to justify a car like this but I think I’m past just having a sedan. I do need to make sure mom could climb into it.  My conference is in Asheville, NC but I have friends who live in Charlotte, NC. So I’m going to spend a few days after the conference ends hanging out with them. I do kind of hate having to rent a car on Sunday so that I can use it Thursday and Friday it’s just chilling in the parking lot for a few days which seems like a waste. Oh well ….that’s adulting.


Upon arrival in Asheville, NC (about an hour and a half from Charlotte) I drove into the hotel resort and was blown away cause it’s kind of tucked away and like crossing a portal to another kind of world. The resort lobby was beautiful, the detail they put into the place was amazing. Walking up to the front desk the guy could have ben a little nicer but whatever maybe he was near the end of his shift ….whatever. He definitely could have told me how to get to my room with a little more detail but I’m sure he’s giving that speech a billion times and just doesn’t think the complex is very hard to navigate cause he does it daily. This resort has different areas that you could be staying it each with a fun different kind of name. However there are ZERO signs, I take that back there are signs but they are very hard to see. I finally found my room and realized that they spent the majority of their money on the lobby. The room is nice don’t get me wrong but this room could have been at any hotel. None of the charm or love that the lobby has was also utilized in the rooms.

At this point I was starving, it was after all close to 3pm and I hadn’t eaten anything yet. So I decided to jump back into the Santa Fe and drive around the area. I was disappointed. As beautiful as the complex around the resort is the area around it left some to be desired. I did make a stop at a local convenience store for some snacks and drinks for the next few days.

Day 1 was just a travel day. The actual conference starts Monday am with registration and some events in the afternoon. So I worked some on Sunday just to put my mind at ease. A few things I needed to get done so that others could do their part while I was around. This made me feel better about sleeping in Monday morning and just chilling a little bit. I think I might need professional help.

This is my first conference I’m looking forward to how it goes, I’m also looking forward to meeting some new people.
I’ll check in a few times this week to tell you how this is going for me …. Giving up Social Media and Soda for lent has been hard. I love getting an Icee on road trips, couldn’t. Just about every drink I like has soda in it. So no drinking. Every event talks to sharing this or that on Social Media. If you are interested they are asking people to use #SMPSSERC in any of their posts.

Marcy  @beaslma

No comments:

Post a Comment