Sunday, August 25, 2019

Traveling with a Medical Marvel


Dragon Con trip is nearly here. My bags are packed, electronics are being charged, it’s gonna be a fun couple of day but only if you plan correctly. As you know dear readers my partner in crime Golden is a true Medical Marvel and as such requires a little forethought on my part before we depart. 



There’s a few things I have learned over the years that I’d like to share with you all ….



A week before the trip I start taking an over the counter cold medicine in the mornings and sinus medicine in the evening, even when I’m not showing any symptoms. See a scratchy throat for me is just annoying for her it leads to a month long process that sometimes goes two or three months. Sometimes I’ll throw some other cocktail of pills in to the mix but have found those two tend to keep the nasty at bay, at least somewhat. It’s a Con… there’s gonna be Con Crud. The least I can do is attempt to keep my germs at home, or at the office.


I also make sure to pack lots of medicine such as Tylenol, sleep aids, over the counter pain pills, non-drosey sinus medicine, and even a pain relieving cream. We may not use any of those but the odds are at some point we’ll need at least one of those items. Golden travels with her own arsenal of pills but her’s are far more expensive and potent that mine and thus stay in the room under lock and key so my stuff is to solely get us back to the room for the good stuff.



Wet wipes are always a good idea. Especially if they have anti-bacterial stuff in them. Also Band-Aids. Sadly, for this trip my beloved glitter my little pony Band-Aids have finally run out and I couldn’t find any more so we are going with sesame street. Apparently, there is a new autistic character and this was one of the roll outs for said character. What ever they were still the cutest ones on the shelf cause I’m not wearing a princess Band-Aid nope not gonna do it ….. ๐Ÿ˜Š I mean little boys still get hurt right, where are my ninja turtles or even transformers, avengers, anything ? nope ok …. Sesame Street it is then. Sigh …. I’m grown people I don’t need Elmo on my boo boo. It’s a Con … there’s gonna be boo boos. 


Hand sanitizer is a must, a travel size bottle usually gets us through cause frankly we don’t really use it like we should but we carry it like the shield that it is. Ready for battle should we decide it’s necessary

We have not found that electrolyte packets or airborne type medicines do much for us. Mostly cause they are gross so we don’t want to take them. We bought them a few times thinking that we would but repacked an up-opened box each time. Ohhh the internet just revealed these come in gummies now … wonder how that would do soaked in vodka … I mean gummy bears in vodka are amazing …. Right?!


However, my most important job of this trip is knowing when to push her to keep going and knowing when to say ok it’s time we slow down, rest a bit then jump back out there. Cause Golden wants to do all the things, and will do all the things even if the next day she can’t move. It’s a 4 day Con people, gotta pace ourselves. People watching is a great time break activity. We find a spot and plant as we watch the people go by. Sometimes that’s also an excellent opportunity to go find food and refreshments.

So if you see us at Dragon Con and we look a little rough remember it’s a Con you are supposed to look a little rough and also being a medical marvel can be exhausting.

Marcy @beaslma

Golden @theonlygolden 

No comments:

Post a Comment