Monday, November 27, 2023

Blog with a purpose – Giving Tuesday

What I’m doing two blog posts this week!? It must be a holiday that … or I’m avoiding cleaning. I’m not really sure why holiday’s make me remember that this thing exists, but they do and here I am.

One of my all-time favorite shows, Sports Night, did a show called “The Quality of Mercy at 29K.” It’s truly a fantastic episode (then they all were really) that was about these guys climbing to the top of Mt. Everest which the sports network CSC, that hosts “Sports Night,” is covering. However, it’s the side stories that stay with me. One of the main characters “Dan” had some “extra money” that he needed to use or be taxed on and walked around the office all day asking people what do they like to give their money too. The show, which I really suggest you find and watch, highlighted a lot of charities and organizations that are worthy of your time and your money. Some said homelessness, some said cancer research, some said the arts (shoutout to Montgomery, AL), a few jokingly said food and rent, and some just gave money to the guy down on their luck as they walked to and from the office which is based in New York. Then one of the characters, Natalie turns to Dan at some point and says, “The Key is to get in the game.” Meaning it didn’t matter where he decided to put his money to but he just needed to give. Every little bit makes a difference, and you just need to find a group you are passionate about and give to that. You can’t give to everything, but you can give something. That always stuck with me. . . . I mean to this day I had forgotten all about the Mt. Everest business until I looked it up for this blog. So Nat…. I’m getting back into the game.

As I have mentioned before I decided that this blog needed more of a purpose than a place for me to list journal entries which is what this thing has pretty much become. Interesting enough but I could be doing more with this space. At least every once in a while. In between some computer issues and life, I ended up with 2 ….. 2 of these “Blog with a Purpose” postings … and well that’s just sad. There are 265 days, 12 months, and roughly 30 days each month and I only came up with 2 of these … well I can’t have that. So here’s the next one … oh 3 … :D go me! Heck by the end of the year I might make it 4 … but no promises.

Incase you are wondering the postings so far have included: 

Triumph over Tragedy 

DEBRA 

As many of you know Thanksgiving was last Thursday, then we had the holy grail that is Black Friday, a wonderful day of knocking your fellow man down for a TV or the hottest toy of the season etc., and of course we will then have Cyber Monday and in the last ten years or so that’s all followed by #GivingTuesday. The theory being that you have now spent enough on yourself and others that if there is any left it would be good to give it back. Giving Tuesday has taken on many forms …. Online donations … volunteering at local food banks and shelters…whatever you decide to do is fine as long as you do….. something. Much like Dan you just have to get into the game. Not saying a blog posting by me here would boost anything, but at least I can say I gave it some spotlight if only for a small moment in time and with the tiniest bulb out there. What they do with it after that … well that’s on them!

So here are a few organizations that I feel are worthy of your time and dollars if you are, like Dan, looking for something to give those extra dollars to this time of year.

Triumph over Tragedy

The Brother’s Trust

Make-A-Wish     this link is to the account that a friend of mine runs to raise funds for Make-A-Wish (for full disclosure)  

Kids Need To Read

Cause we are a duo … I asked Golden what she’d add to this list and these are her suggestion for charities/organizations worth your time and possibly your dollars …

Trevor Project

True Colors United

Doctors Without Boarders/Medicins Sans Frontiers

NAMI

Reading is Fundamental

Dolly’s Imagination Library

Many of these organizations are having matching funds to really maximize your donation. 

If you are looking for something closer to home .... You can go to your local elementary or high schools and see what support they need or pay of a student's fees so they can start off the new year without that hanging over their head. Don’t get me wrong I know that this time of year it’s hard to scrape together a few extra bucks for anything but just know that your money is not the only thing that these organizations need. Donate time to animal shelters or drop off food, toys, treats, clothing, puppy pads. You can also drop off newspapers or gently used blankets/comforters/towels and donate those items as well. Find and support your local little libraries found in your town (locate one near you by going here …. ) by dropping off books or reaching out to the person who stocks them to see what they need. Food banks, blood banks, nursing homes, there are various ways to get involved that only cost time you just have to look for them. Time is very valuable, but the reward is also very high. Again, it’s all about getting involved in any way that you can. 

Then there are Angel Trees, Sock Drives, Hat & Glove Ministries, Toys for Tots, Salvation Army buckets at every major store this time of year... once you fall down the rabbit hole you end up like Dan and paralyzed to do anything. So just leap cause it really is true ... any amount no matter how small or how large makes a difference. That's really the point after all ... making a difference. 

Who are you reaching out to this year that’s not in the list above but should be ?

Marcy


No comments:

Post a Comment