Friday, January 30, 2015

Wonderful Week

Hey readers!!!! Listen carefully ….. cause I don’t say this often ….. but I had a WONDERFUL WEEK!!!!! Work went well, it was my birthday, and I’m learning a new program at work that is frankly turning out more “fun” and challenging than I thought it would be.

I realized this week, even with some new co-worker drama that it’s been a long time since I dreaded going to work. That was a nice thing to realize. I have a new boss who appreciates my talents, sees that I’m a hard worker, and who values my input. I really feel like I don’t work FOR him as much as I work with him, tho I do admit I enjoy letting him take the lead on the co-worker drama then again that's why he makes the big bucks. I won’t get into the coworker drama cause frankly you wouldn’t believe some of it even if I told you cause I’ve lived it and can’t believe some of it.

This past week I turned 30-something …. I’m closer to 40 something than say 20 something but I won’t share with you my age just yet. Not that I really care about my age but people tend to write people off based on their age. You are too young, you are too old, you are lacking experience, or you are out of touch and your experience no longer counts. It’s a pretty lame thing to judge someone by but that’s the world we live in. So for now just know I’m older than a college kid but act like an elementary school kid sometimes and others I act like the old lady who lives in a shoe, sans children of course.

This year’s Birthday is going to rank as one of the top Birthday’s of my life. Not because I did anything all that interesting but the people in my life made me feel ridiculously special. Some co-workers forced me to go to lunch (I was working on a deadline and thinking I might work through it) they took no for an answer and I had a fantastic time. I haven’t laughed that hard in years. The conversation was fun, the company was fantastic, and it was just the break I needed to get through the rest of the day. A dear friend sent me a cookie bouquet, my office got me a cookie cake (when I was younger I enjoyed those more than cake so mom would make me one every year, I told a coworker that and she remembered), and mom and dad grilled me a hamburger. Mom put extra bacon on it, which is the definition of love I think. As with anyone else in the social media age I heard from a lot of Facebook friends and even more Twitter friends wishing me a good day. My phone always has a heart attack on my birthday but it’s always worth it seeing friends who took the time out of their day to remember me even if it was just cause Facebook reminded them to.

At work we implemented a new program today, a program most of the world have been using for a while but it’s new to us. When it was first introduced about a month or so ago I was skeptical about it, it feels like taking an already stressful job and making it even more so for no reason. Between project managers who don’t get into the game until late, to subconsultants sending their information in a variety of formats, it just seems we are adding unnecessary work to the process all because someone thinks it will look “better.” Frankly I think we could do a lot of the same stuff with our old programs but after using it today I have to admit, I’m enjoying this new process. Yes it’s going to add a learning curve and make the process a little longer at first but what I created today looked good and was kind of fun. I didn’t feel like a copy and paste monkey so that was fun. I’m sure in a few weeks I’ll be ranting about how crazy all this is or how frustrating life has become with insane deadlines and recreating these documents from scratch every time.

Oh! And if that weren’t enough my Auburn Tigers Gymnastic team has been kicking butt and taking names. Next week they will be live on SEC Network so I’ll get to watch them take on one of the best Gymnastics programs in the NCAA. This team has so much promise and is filled with so talent it’s sick. These girls are amazing!!!! WAR EAGLE!

I don't have weeks like this often so I wanted to document it. Sorry to brag. Overall it’s been a great week, so I hope you guys had a good one as well and if not maybe next week will be your week.

-Marcy  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment