Sunday, August 9, 2015

Kick it with Karsyn

Back in February I started a plan to celebrate the return of NASCAR for the 2015 season, support my favorite driver Jeff Gordon, and help out one of my favorite charities all at the same time. I figured now that we were well past half way through the season it would be nice to update you guys on how it’s going and tell you how you can get involved.

I’d love to tell you guys that Jeff is burning up the track in his final season, I can’t ... however there is a lot of racing left; he's still in the running for the Chase and he's had some good promising finishes for a final season of racing. Plus not all of the issues have been in their control and that's just racin' though I'd love to see him pull into Victory lane one more time! The best part of this "subpar" season is that due to the season he is having the charity is a big winner, as least as far as my challenge goes!


To RECAP: I decided that a win by Jeff was worth $24 dollars to the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation through my friend Larry. If Jeff starts on the pole I’d add 5$ to the final total. The finish of the day dictates the amount of the donation for that week. AKA – if he finished 1st and started on the pole, then the donation would be at best $28 bucks, if he finished 12th but did not start on the pole the donation would be $12 dollars, 12th with a pole start would be $17 bucks and so on..... The goal with this project was to show people that it’s not the “big donations” that make a difference, though I’m sure Larry appreciates those, it’s the small amounts that add up to big donations overtime. The average donation has been around $15 bucks a race, I spend that much on lunch, sometimes.


I realized early in this process the worse Jeff does the higher my donation became, which was bad for Jeff but after several rough finishes has been great for the charity. Who knows maybe Jeff is doing it on purpose, nah he's an athlete, he wants to win. Win he shall I'm sure, but so far this season, based on Jeff’s results so far, I have donated $372.00 to support my friend Larry, who runs Gordonline.com and his fight against pediatric cancer through the Jeff Gordon Children’s Foundation. My latest donation went straight to the Kick it with Karsyn event coming up in September in Wabash, Indiana and that's where you guys can join in the fun. 


This is the 2nd annual kick ball tournament to benefit childhood cancer research. Every dollar raised in the event will benefit the Jeff Gordon Pediatric Cancer Research Lab at Riley Hospital where Karsyn and others like her receive their treatments. The most exciting thing about this event is that Jeff has pledged to MATCH ALL donations to make a larger impact through this event.

 
If you can PLEASE donate to this event via the donation site here Kick it withKarsyn and let’s help fight Pediatric Cancer! At 12 years old, Karsyn has been battling cancer since she was 4 years old, it’s crazy to me that the tools and medicine used in her battle are older than her parents.


In honor of all who continue to fight, in memory of those who we have lost, and for the future children whom I hope will have an easier time because of events like this, I beg you to visit the links throughout this post (and below) then consider donating to this cause. Funding research to fight pediatric cancer is important and the Kick It Event is a fantastic way to allow a small donation to have a HUGE impact.
  
Twitter: @KarsynKickIt
2nd Annual Kick It With Karsyn Donation/Details page: http://www.kick-it.org/games/2015/09/second-annual-kick-it-with-karsyn
Hospital Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/RileyHospitalforChildren
Benefits: Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation / Kick-It)
Gordonline Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jeffgordononline
Larry's Essay on Karsyn: http://www.gordonline.com/karsyn.html
The Inspiration for it all: Jackson Panzarello

Thanks for your time, please consider a donation, if you can, and if you can't at least share this post so others who can donate might be moved to do so.

If you are in or near Wabash, IN and want to volunteer or just see a fun event check out the links above and get involved! If you aren't in Wabash, IN check out the Kick It With Jeff Gordon website to see if there are events closer to where you live!

Fight on! 

-Marcy (@beaslma)

No comments:

Post a Comment