Sunday, August 10, 2014

Music … it’s a love and a curse

I consider myself a music schizophrenic, my MP3 player can go from country, to rap, to classical music, to soundtracks, to Broadway musicals, to rock, and pop all in the course of 10 minutes. I love shuffle, it may be the best thing ever invented in life. I get tired of listening to the same thing over and over, that’s partly why I hate RADIO, they seem to play the same 12 songs every hour or all the songs they play sound the same to me. It’s important from the beginning that you understand all of that because while I LOVE music sometimes I also LOATHE it!

 

Today after church my family and I decided to go to dinner. It was a new place we’ve heard about but had never been. I was having a perfectly enjoyable time, laughing with the family when the first few beats of the Pharell Williams Happy came on over the radio speakers. I immediately dropped my head to my chest disgusted. My family on the other hand had zero idea of what was going on. Mom thought there was something wrong with my food, Dad thought someone came in the door that I didn’t want to see. If only it could have been those things, or an alien ship landing on the roof, anything other than what it was I’d have been happy. That song ruined for me a perfectly enjoyable time and it was ALL I could hear, I know…I know don’t give it the power… just don’t listen…but that’s not possible. I know it’s on it’s being played around me and there’s nothing I can do. I can’t temporarily go deaf -- oh my god that would be a fantastic superpower -- if you could turn it on and off like a light switch.

As you can tell… I HATE that song. I was told I just didn’t understand it which is basically a giant middle finger waved in my face. So I gave it a chance, I read the lyrics, I listened to the song several times. I even sat through the video more than once. I have watched perfectly intelligent people enjoy the song and dance around with their kids to it all laughing and having a perfectly wonderful time … I just don’t get it. At best it sounds like we are listening to a dude on the bus having a phone conversation and we only hear his side of it making him sound even more schizophrenic than a businessman in terminal 3 talking on a blue tooth device.

I hold music in high regard, musicians are these amazing poets who see the world differently that most and should be respected but I just…that song…I can’t. It just eats away at my soul and makes me want to scream! If a brand new artist walked into his first meeting with a record company with this song he’d have been laughed out of the room and his contract ripped up and thrown away right in front of him/her.

However all that aside what really gets me about this song, and most pop type songs, is that days from now I’ll still be singing that damn hook in my head. Just randomly in some meeting or driving to work it will pop up and I’ll start singing it in my head and start looking for a blunt instrument to hit myself with. That happens yet I can’t remember important things like pick up milk two minutes after I leave the house to get milk. I hate that effect music can have on people, especially since there’s nothing I can do about it. I guess I just wish if a subliminal message were going to be implanted into my brain that it’s be something useful in everyday life… I don’t know like the name of the 7 dwarfs or the quantities of ingredients from say cups to quarts or even birthdays of family and friends, hell the digits of Pi, anything remotely useful in life would be great but no…that’s not what I get…what I get is … “Cause I’m happy!” over and over in my head…and now dear reader you have it too and thus I’m no longer alone, so thanks for reading and thanks for listening. Rant is now over resume your Sunday activities.

--

PS a friendly reminder to connect with Golden @TheOnlyGolden and I @beaslma via twitter and let’s chat. We like meeting new people and we like hearing that people other than us are reading this page. Remember use #SayWhatMG

No comments:

Post a Comment