Saturday, August 23, 2014

Peter Pan might have been right all along…

I have spent the entire day packing for our trip to Dragon Con. Literally. Well ok…there was a break where Golden and I got on the phone and talked about logistics of this trip. There wasn’t a lot of packing done during that time. Mental packing…yes, list making..yes, actual putting things in bags…well that came later. I know once my work week starts packing will be impossible so I tried to get the bulk of the packing done today. I think I was successful.

I have condensed my stuff into 2 bags, which is good cause I think Golden might need a minivan. One I intend to take out at Golden’s and the other that will stay in the car and head to the Con. I will need a bag for my bathroom stuff and my electronic stuff but that will get packed the night before I leave (or the morning of).

One thing I’ve learned during this process is that I apparently need to grow up. I have packed most of my “geekish” shirts for this trip, sadly not all made the cut. I have two Voltron shirts (the Defender of the Universe), a Transformers T sporting “Soundwave” (Note: not the crappy soundwave that is apparently an airplane now, but the old school boom box as he should be.), some Marvel T-shirts, and of course a Smurf shirt, to name a few.

 

The bottom line is that my suitcase looks like the suitcase of a 10 year old boy. It’s really kind of ridiculous, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Usually when I wear these shirts in my every day world I get looks from people to have to explain what the shirts are. It almost kills my soul when a young kid walks up to me and says I don’t know that Transformer and I have to explain that it’s Voltron he’s not a Transformer. Then someone has to restrain me as they walk away talking about a knock off t-shirt so that I don’t go beat them to death. Someone has to teach these kids about respect. If not me … who!?

For example several years ago, I walked into Disney world and as most people do stood there for a second to take in all the wonderfulness that was in front of me, PRAISE WALT AND THE VISON HE HAD FOR THE WORLD! It was election time at Disney World and both Winnie the Pooh and Captain Hook were running for Mayor of Disney World. Can you imagine how cool that would be … To be Mayor of the most wonderful place on earth!? If nothing else I’m sure you get to ride without waiting in line. That would totally be worth it!

Anyway I digress…. I walked into Disney World, as stated, and there right in front of me is Winnie The Pooh (one of my all time favorite Disney characters) and I’m just kind of in awe that my first sight is him. I’d imagine it’s like when one walks off a plane in Atlanta and runs into Joss Whedon you are just kind of dumbfounded for a minute then you recover and ask him to bring back Firefly. In the middle of my Pooh coma this kid, who couldn’t have been more than 10, walks up and taps me on the shoulder… “you know he’s not real right?!” Now for full discloser I didn’t know this kid, he wasn’t like some distant relative, or one of my nephews he was just some random kid who just ruined my moment. I’m not overly proud of the obscenities that I yelled in his direction, ok yeah I kind of am, and I’m not proud of the look his momma gave me as she dragged him away, but I am proud of the fact that the kid looked stunned. Like I had literally bitch slapped him across the face, I didn’t but I should have. I like to think that this “confrontation” might make him think next time before he burst the next persons bubble.

Yes I knew it wasn’t the “real” Winnie the Pooh; he lives in England. However did it really hurt anyone that for one brief moment I was super excited by the sight in front of me?! Why did he have to interject his 2 cents?! Then after I calmed down, got my Winnie The Pooh hug, (second best hug I’ve ever gotten from a “character” -- the first will ALWAYS belong to Aubie from the Auburn Tigers), and an ice cream in the shape of Mickey, I realized that kid just flat out sucked. He had lost all the joy in his life in short 10 years. We all have those years where we think we are too grown up for this or that but long to do this or that. Take Halloween for example. At some point we deem ourselves “too old” to participate when in all honesty we all want to go out and get free candy.

So at Dragon Con I’m going to get ALL THE CANDY!!!!!

As Peter Pan says … “All children, except one, grow up.” – I strive to be that one!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment