Sunday, November 30, 2014

Social Media Clean Up

A few times a year my twitter timeline gets out of control. There are things clogging up my list that honestly I don’t care about keeping me from the items that I do and that’s not good. Granted a lot of that is my fault. I tend to follow first then ask questions later. Ahhh the ease of the follow button and instant conversation.

If you and I are watching a show and have a legitimate conversation about it I may follow you just to see if the conversation leads to anything else. If it doesn’t then the next clean up day you might not make the cut. However I’ve met some really great people on twitter using this method. Let’s face it Twitter is for the people you wish you knew unlike Facebook which is for the people you wish you didn’t know.

So how does one decide who stays and who goes ?
 
For me personally it’s when I look at your twitter name and can’t remember who you are. That signals to me that you and I haven’t “talked” in quite a while and the odds are that won’t change. In that case I pull up their twitter account and scroll down, if I see anything that I think wow I’m glad I saw that (a picture, a quote, a discussion about a book/movie/tv show) and will continue to follow.
 
If you RT all damn day the odds are you won’t make it past a few of my cleaning days. I RT a good bit as well but if it’s all RT and no conversation then frankly you are just an advertising bot and while I don’t wish you to be blocked or reported as Spam I don’t need it filling my timeline either. Or maybe you were someone I followed so we could discuss a show that’s no longer on the air and that was pretty much were our interests ended.  

It’s not that I wish any of these people any ill will, and if they choose to continue to follow me the more the merrier, but I’m more a quality person than a quantity person. I’m not someone who watching my followers numbers very closely, or follows you cause you followed me. I don't need thousands of followers/follows when I only talk to say 100 of them. This medium is called SOCIAL media for a reason, if we aren’t social, then I don’t necessarily need to see your media.
 
 
So here’s to a Social Media Clean Up day … here’s hoping we are social on the other side.

-marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment