Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thankfulness Challenge - Day 23

It’s the last Sunday of November, or as I like to call it the calm before the storm. Nope I’m not talking about families coming together for a delicious meal, or the dreaded Black Friday chaos no I’m talking about something way more dramatic and often more dangerous …. Iron Bowl Week. That’s right people I’m in the middle of ground zero for the chaos that is the Iron Bowl.

Let’s be real for a minute, Auburn is the underdog this year. Depending on which Auburn team shows up this game will either be really exciting or it’s going to be a big flop. Last year the game came down to several key moments, one second to be exact. It ended up being ESPNs game of the year. It was a satisfying game because it was one of those games that kept you on the edge of your seat. I hope for the same this year. I hate games that have a lot of hype but no follow through. Auburn can play spoiler this year but only if they come out of the gate playing as a team. They can’t give away yardage with stupid penalties, they can’t play possum for a quarter hoping for that last second miracle. We can’t let this Alabama team smell blood cause they will pounce and it will NOT be pretty if that happens. Alabama can be beaten but this might not be our year to give them that “L”. Then again I’ve always said the scariest thing in the SEC is an Auburn Team with nothing to lose.

The work week along is insane. People talking about the game in the hallways, emails being sent, shirts are worn, lines are drawn, this game people is a huge deal where I’m from. Even if both teams were out of the running it would be a big deal, it’s bragging rights. One team’s fans will have a little more swagger this winter at least until the A-Day Game. This year one team will go to the championship if they win, and the other gets to play spoiler, if they win.  

When Iron Bowl week is looming it can be very daunting. It used to be even worse when the game would be played on Thanksgiving Day. Some smart soul decided that was silly and it moved back to the weekend after Thanksgiving. Families don’t speak to each other, friends stop being friends, mixed families have a rough time, and all because two football teams are getting ready to take the field.

Strangers walk up to you and either give you a War Eagle or tell you that your team is gonna get beaten, depending on what colors you are wearing. A few years ago I was with a friend at a local tourist attraction wearing an Auburn shirt and someone yelled from across the lawn “Your team sucks!” my friend looked at me, "was he talking to you" … I said "yep" and kept walking. “HEY AWBURN! I’m talking to you!” the man yelled as I continued to ignore him. My friend said, "do you know him?" I said "nope…just keep walking". A few minutes later we walked past the man I gave him a nod, he flipped me off and we just continued on our way. My friend was shocked couldn’t believe it was that extreme. Later that same weekend I was walking around with an Auburn backpack on and someone yelled "WAR EAGLE!" I raised my hand in a peace sign and then from somewhere else I heard "ROLL TIDE" I threw that guy a peace sign too. That people wasn’t even during an Iron Bowl week, so that gives you a idea of what this rivalry can be like.

As you can tell I’m an Auburn fan, hence the Auburn gear. I’m also an Auburn Graduate Class of 2001. As stated in my post on Day 9 Auburn means a great deal to me. Win or lose Auburn will always hold a special place in my heart. I feel for these coaches and players. At best a player gets 4 years to win this game, the coaches on the other hand usually get far less. This game makes or breaks a coaches career. A good Iron Bowl means one more year of a job, a bad one means you need to start looking for boxes. I’ve often been thankful that my job does not depend on the performance of 18-24 year old kids. Win or lose there’s always next year.

So until Saturday WAR EAGLE reader and if your team isn’t Auburn may the players on both sides of the ball stay healthy, play well, and finish strong. Cause let's face it ... I can't be an Auburn fan without others being fans of other teams cause without those teams my team would have no one to play.

-Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment