Saturday, November 8, 2014

Thankfulness Challenge - Day 8

Shopping with a purpose other than just to get the “right gift!” has always made me a happy consumer. A lady at work was selling coupon books and if her “kid” sold enough books she could win various prizes. The kid wanted some sunglasses that had windshield wipers on them. To get them she had to sell at least 10 books of coupons. When that little girl got her windshield wiper glasses and walked down the halls of our office proudly showing them off and thanking everyone who bought a book it was the best 20 bucks I’ve ever spent. To me shopping is more than just buying something to have a purpose behind the buy is what makes shopping enjoyable to me.

I’ll be honest I hate the physical act of shopping. I hate driving around town, getting out of the car, walking into a store wasting and hour or so of my life finding nothing that interest me and getting back into the car to do it again after a 10-15/30 minute drive to the next destination.  I hate spending all day long in and out of stores with very little to show for it. I only physically shop when I have to. Shoes for instance, I have never mastered the art of buying shoes online because my feet are stupid. They swell at weird times in the day and a size 8 shoe at store A in the morning is not the same as a size 8 at store B in the afternoon and forget about a size 8 at store C needless to say it’s a frustrating process for me.

However I excel in online shopping. I like going through a site and seeing what they have and knowing that at that moment I can click a button, purchase it, and have it winging its way to my house in a matter of minutes. Online shopping is by far the greatest thing that’s come out of the internet. I love having access to artist, writers, and musicians no matter where I live. Let’s face it there are some items that can only be bought while you are walking down the street in New Orleans but the internet has allowed those people to sell their wares to anyone as long as you stumble across the link for it.

One of the best places to shop online is Amazon.com and last year it became an even better place to shop with the establishment of AmazonSmile which allows you to pick a charity that will receive money from every purchase made. It changes nothing about how Amazon works it just connects it to a charity that will benefit from me sitting on my butt while listening to music and shopping. What more is there to love? I’m going to be buying the stuff anyway and now someone else is able to benefit from me buying Pete and Pete Season 1. I’m thankful Amazon Smile gives consumers an opportunity to support a charity , giving them a boost that they weren’t expecting, so that they can continue to spread good in the world. It’s the true definition of Win .. Win.


The AmazonSmile foundation donates .5% of the price of the purchase to the organization selected. Any group registered as a 501©(3) organization with the IRS can sign up with the AmazonSmile site. Consumers can chose from one of the spotlight charities or you can search for your own organization.

I personally chose Kids Need To Read, and organization located in Mesa, Arizona who works to create a culture of reading for children by providing books to underfunded schools, libraries in support of literacy programs and disadvantage children throughout the United States. I think all kids should have access to books. Books transport you to another location, they suck you in and you can’t help but fall into a trance. There is NO FEELING in the world like falling into a fantasy world while sitting in your own chair. I can remember reading a book during my high school years and sobbing at 3am because of the ending was both devastating and perfect for the story I had been reading all day long. I’ve been known to completely ignore the world around me and miss a plane because of it. I’ve been known to unpack clothing to fit in another book for a vacation. Bottom line… Reading is awesome.


So I like to give a little boost to Kids Need To Read as I shop at Amazon and if you don’t pick them that’s fine but as you do your holiday shopping this year and plan to use Amazon please pick one. It takes zero time to select a charity truly the hardest part is picking one that you want to support. The site remembers your choice and when you click an external Amazon link the site will ask you if you'd like to see the same item through the Smile section of the site connecting you back to your charity.
 
The best part is that you are able to support a charity all year long, not just during the holidays or a yearly donation to the charity. Millions of people use Amazon every day, every hour, and if each of those people used Amazon Smile think of how fantastic that would be for the charities on the list. So check it out and talk to your friends and family about using this resource on the site.
 
Resources: 
http://smile.amazon.com -- for when you are ready to get your shopping on. Use this site to get the process started.

http://kidsneedtoread.org/ -- If you want to learn more about this awesome organization.  

https://org.amazon.com/ -- If you know of a charity that wants to research this foundation more.

Happy Shopping!
-Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment