Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Thankfulness Challenge – College Days

So as I said yesterday my family and I put on all our Auburn gear and headed to the local arena to watch the Tigers play basketball. It was a super fun night that ended with my nephew asking “What is it about Auburn Sports? It’s not a game unless you are about to have a heart attack.” He’s 100% right. Being an Auburn fan is not always fun, it’s not always easy but it really is GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger.

I’ve talked on this blog before about what Auburn means to me it’s more than a university, it is home. That feeling of belonging that feeling of calm that comes over me when I go back to that campus fascinates me. Just getting off at that exit and driving towards campus makes me feel like I have class the next day.

I started at Auburn in the college of Liberal Arts with the plan of going into communications with an eventual degree in journalism. That was the plan. However as most college students need to understand often the plan changes at least once or twice in those 4…4+ years.

My older nephew is currently at Auburn and he’s at that cross road where he stays on the path he’s on or he shifts the plan and go in another direction. I’ve told him every student on that campus has gotten to that road, the question he has to ask himself is what do you want to do. It’s not an easy decision and it’s not easy to trust yourself and go with your gut. For me, the decision was really made for me. The weed out class for a Journalism degree definitely weeded me out. At the time I was devastated. My guidance counselor told me you can do what you want to do with a degree in English. That…was….a …. Lie. Well not a lie, I mean she wasn’t being malicious about it or anything she was just largely mistaken. See I loved my guidance counselor. When I graduated my mother gave HER a graduation gift. She is the reason I have that piece of paper on my wall in a nice fancy frame … collecting dust. Her advice however was misguided. The people I tried to get a Journalism type job from were done with me after they realized I only had an English degree.

I can’t imagine trying to be in the journalism profession today. It drives me crazy how lazy some journalist are now especially in the light of everything going on in the world. It drives me insane that a social media account has become a source. They are no longer concerned with getting the story it is more about repeating whatever one else is talking about. If you watch two or three channels or read a few articles the same text or talking points are used over and over.

Not to mention that now a days it’s harder than ever to break into and I wasn’t someone who wanted to be on the screen. I was more interested in the research side of the table or the writing of copy. I am however grateful for where I have ended up. It’s not at all what I thought I’d be doing with my life as a 20 something year old but I’m good at it and feel very secure in saying that someone knew that that’s where I needed to end up and for that I am grateful. I now it’s not easy but trust the plan, even when it changes, it might be exactly what you needed.

Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment