Saturday, November 23, 2019

Thankfulness Challenge – My Typical Day

So the other day I posted that I was out of ideas, then the next day I had several ideas popped into my head. One of those ideas was to give a detailed account of a typical weekday for me. I say weekdays cause my weekends are not at all typical, especially during football season. However my weekdays are pretty standard, so here goes

I’m one of those crazy people who has several alarms set to wake up, to physically get up, to get out of the shower, to be moving to the car, to leave, all with a different song attached to it. 5:45, 6:10, 6:30, 6:45. I know it is insane but I know when Ed Sheeran sings I gotta wake up, when Bryan White starts singing it’s time for me to get out of the shower,  when Eric Erdman starts singing I should be dressed and doing my hair, and when Justin Timberlake comes on I should be moving to the car to leave for work. I won't bore you with getting dressed cause there's no rhyme or reason as to what I put on for the day, or how I do my hair cause after about 45 minutes of being at the office I'm going to pull it back into a pony tail or bun anyway. 

From there it’s a 20 minute drive to the office, sometimes I stop for a biscuit but typically I just head to the office getting there around 7:30. I used to spend my commute listening to the Daily Show but Comedy Central moved it and now i can't find it at the same time, which makes me a Sad Marcy. However I have a flashdrive in my car for those days that i can't find anything to listen to on the radio.  Once I arrive at the office and park, I might sit in the parking lot for a few minutes playing on my phone cause I’m not ready to get in there yet. I have also been known to see others getting out of their car so I sit there for a few minutes cause I don’t want to walk in with them, or more important ride the elevator with them. Granted they are not always from my office but sometimes they are. Look … it's too damn early to be sociable. 

Once I get out of the car and into the elevator I fob my way into the office and make my way to my office shouting Good Morning to anyone that I pass along the way then I log into my computer. Usually while I wait for my computer to come on I make my to do list and plan out my day. It takes my computer a stupid amount of time to come to life. Then once I log in it takes a little longer for it to come up to speed and I can use it. This is because there are these mandatory programs that automatically run in the background so those take forever to open as well and you can't really start work until those finish loading. Sometimes after loggin in I'll use that time to go get ice in my cup or talk to coworkers, or play on my phone. On Mondays I change out the sign on my desk. Last year for Christmas a coworker gave me the sign with those letter things and my goal was to change it out at least once a week. So far I’ve met that goal. Well except for those 3 weeks that out office closed after the chiller exploded on the AC flooding out our floor and the floor below us. I skipped a week during that break but I don’t count that cause no one else was there to see it wasn’t updated right?! I did get to work from home during that span and found it surprisingly easy. 

So then I spend the next 4 hours bouncing from project to project, helping coworkers, coordinating with subs, meeting with my boss or project managers and am typically shocked when someone comes around at noon to ask if I’m eating today. Usually the answer is yes but there are times where I bail on lunch to complete a task or punch and bind a submittal that kind of thing. However it’s part of my sanity plan to get out of the building at least once a day. Typically, we go somewhere near the office and grab lunch sometimes we venture further out. There’s usually a group of 2 or 3 that I go with on a routine basis. We don’t do fast food often opting instead for a sit down bring me food kind of place. Sometimes I miss the fast food I know my wallet does.

Then it’s back to the office for another round of meetings, conference calls, and draft submittal creation, or edits to already completed drafts. The last week or so I’ve been working on award nomination forms for some of the employees in our office. Over the last month I’ve worked on submittals for projects in Alabama, Louisiana, Florida, Texas, and Georgia. I like the variety of the work that I do. No two days as far as the work is concerned is the same. The best part of my job is that at some point there is a deadline and I have to move on whether I want to or not. I don’t usually leave the office at 5, tho lately I have. Often I stay and work until about 5:30 or 6 either cause I’m trying to get something done or let traffic die down. Sometimes both, sometimes it's well past 6. The latest I have stayed was 9. I feel that's good enough and I don't really care for doing that but you do what you have to do right?!  

Then I drag it out to the car and make the 20 minute drive home. Sometimes I make stops on the way home, medicine, groceries that kind of thing but usually it's a stright shot to the house.  Once there I change clothes, we usually have dinner as a family, everyone takes their medicine, then mom and I watch TV until 10/10:30. Depending on the day of the week or the season it changes what we watch. Big Bang Theory is a constant, we also like watching reruns of Mad About You, as well as Reba. Stuff we've likely seen billions of times. Every once in a while we'll watch a movie, especially during Halloween or Christmas season, and we ALWAYS make time for A Million Little Things. . . . Always. Usually i'm watching with one eye and playing a game on my phone, or texting with a nephew, or Golden while just sitting around on my duff. Before I go to bed I give mom her nighttime medicine and I head to bed. Where I pull out my phone and either scroll my twitter feed, watch you tube videos, or text with Golden until I fall asleep. I’d say on a good night I’m asleep by midnight on other nights I’m asleep by 1.

So that’s a typical day for me.  
Marcy

No comments:

Post a Comment